Friday, November 04, 2011

Operation Military Salute program 2nd Baptist Houston


My friend Ken Pridgeon gave my bride and I 2 tickets to attend the Operation Military Salute program at 2nd Baptist in Houston today. This is one of 5 giant 2nd Baptist locations run by Dr. Ed Young. Oh my god, what an amazing production! We were bowled over by the 2.5 hour program. I did not know Wayne Newton was basically Bob Hope now and has traveled with the USO since 1967. When he left Vietnam the first time, he called 5000 families and told them he had talked to their sons, using a form they filled out. He personally has called over 14000 family members from troops in the Middle East and delivered messages, some of the troops being killed by the time he called their houses.

I couldn't keep the tears out of my eyes today many times. We heard Medal of honor winner Navy Seal Mike Thornton talk, who has been wounded 18 times. Lt. General William Boykin (see the photo above) who was portrayed by Sam Shepard in the movie Black Hawk Down, talk about the 2 Delta Force members who sacrificed their lives to save WO3 Mike Durant and how we veterans are duty bound to make this country great again.

It was one of the most rewarding moments for us, as the portrait of Nick hung in the hallway, as the PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) folks were heavily represented there today. The high level of professional presentation by this church was amazing. I've never seen anything like it.

Mattress Mac's nephew, Major George MacIngvale III was awarded The Texas Heart of Service award (he has 7 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan). Mattress Mac was also recognized for 24 years of unselfish financial support for the troops. The Patriot Guard and many others were also recognized and praised. It was an amazing tribute to the Veterans and the troops.
.

No comments:

Reviving my lost Trackables.

 Reviving my lost Trackables. BaytownBert 3-15-24 Over the last 20 years, I’ve purchased and in many cases released somewhere short of 150 T...