Thursday, October 30, 2014

Songbird Meadows Bed & Breakfast review



I have little experience with Bed & Breakfast abodes.  I want to say that from the onset.  I do however know when I am being pampered - and pampered I like.  Back 4 months ago I retired from a job that had me working 60 to 80 hours a week for the last 37 years. 

We arrived on a typical Tuesday afternoon, driving in from Baytown, Texas, fighting the Houston traffic and all wired up.  In fact, I was still internally wired up from all those years of working overtime on a chemical plant.

This is the perfect place to take your Bride and baby her and this readily apparent from the moment we arrived.  There are three quaint cabins and each are situated in such a manner as to give the occupants privacy and the feeling they are alone in a most peaceful setting.  My beautiful Bride of 37 years and I wasted no time after arriving in the afternoon, to hike the trails on the property, discovering all the unique bird watching stations and places of prayer.  We needed to get the blood flowing after all that driving.


It is very obvious that a tremendous amount of effort has gone into making this bed and breakfast a sanctuary for weary souls.  They even have a place in the woods where you can throw old china against a backstop to relieve stress.  We relieve stress by hiking.

Our cabin was the Hummingbird Hideaway and of course, I ordered the Romance package!  The interior of the cabin is beautifully and efficiently laid out with every possible amenity and although we used it sparingly, as we are geocachers – spending every waking moment hiking in Pedernales Falls State Park, or scouring the countryside for geocaches, it was comfy and very much welcomed at the end of the day.

In fact, when you stay there, you will fall in love with the cabin and dream of owning one like it.


Breakfast is delivered each morning by the hostess in a large basket and placed on the front porch and even I can see that the presentation is top shelf.  In fact, I can’t say I’ve eaten a more delicious breakfast in a long time.  Each morning we relaxed on the front porch, drinking coffee, and watching the deer browse around in the lower meadow.  Each evening I sat by the large campfire and read my email on my laptop.

Let me say something about the owners.  They are non-intrusive, but available at the drop of a hat.  Unlike many places you could stay, they really want you to unwind and recover, especially if you have experienced grief in your life.

The host and hostess and my wife and I share the losses of our sons due to the Iraq/Afghanistan war and when I arrived, I brought them a copy of the portrait of their son, painted by famed Baytown artist, Ken “the Dauber” Pridgeon.  The original hangs in his the portrait of a warrior art gallery in Baytown, Texas.  http://www.portraitofawarrior.org/

The 3 days flew by so fast, it was as if we took a micro vacation, but with magnum results.  My fast-pace life could use a dose of this place once a month and then maybe, just maybe, I could slow down a bit.  I rate this wonderful experience excellent on every level.

Songbird Meadows Bed & Breakfast is located 1022 Stanton Ranch Loop, P.O. Box 1532
Johnson City, TX, 78636, United States  GPS coordinates: N30 14.001  W098 22.193  info@songbirdmeadowsbb.net  830.868.2468   http://www.songbirdmeadowsbb.net/



No comments:

Reviving my lost Trackables.

 Reviving my lost Trackables. BaytownBert 3-15-24 Over the last 20 years, I’ve purchased and in many cases released somewhere short of 150 T...