Saturday, May 26, 2007

The Empty Tomb

At 54 years old, I’ve never suffered the devastating loss of a loved one. I think I know what suffering is though, as I see and feel it from people who have. The deep wound of lingering pain and loss reoccurs every year on the anniversary date, so it never really heals. Their tragic loss emanates from them and affects everything they do.

I know my time is coming and I know I will handle it poorly. However, this column today is not about me, it is for all those wounded souls who have lost a loved one due to war and the effects of war.

As the dad of a boy, become man, who went off to war and was wounded in action, I have to believe that serving our nation is still an honorable thing. I truly believe in this country, still believe in the message the American flag intended and I am still proud to be an American. I hope that never changes. I love this country.

War is horribly ugly. Even so called honorable and patriotically justifiable wars become ugly after they drag on and on and on. Go back to the early 90’s when our “quick war” Desert Storm ended and American flags lined the neighborhood streets. Returning from the Arabian Gulf, Petty Officer, First Class Claudius Joseph sailed into port, dressed in his Navy whites, to cheering tens of thousands and he told me it was the most wonderful experience of his young life.

Americans were proud of our military might. It was a great day to be an American!

Patriotism was at an all time high in this country and if by chance, Claude would have been killed “over there”, folks would have honored him as a fallen American hero, never doubting for a second, that his sacrifice was honorable and – an acceptable loss and the price of freedom. No one would have dared call his sacrifice a waste. Not openly anyway.

Our country is in a terrible period of confusion – a crossroad. We’ve been at war over four years now and folks are weighing the cost and rightly so. It is our duty to question our leaders. History will tell us if it was worth the cost, but for now I, as a returning Vietnam Veteran can tell you, the G.I. will be the loser in this current state of argument – and the thousands of parents and family who have lost a son, or daughter.

Out in Beach City, PFC. Wesley Riggs’s family and friends will face the dreadful uncertainty that people will regard their son’s loss…as a total waste. It wasn’t. I don’t. I feel for them. I feel their loss. No sacrifice of our children, brothers, sisters, moms, or dads is ever “for nothing” in wartime. It’s war and even though war is awful, its participants are not. May God bless and continue to comfort our fallen and their families.

War is fought by leaders of countries and they all become unpopular – all of them. This war is no different. We as a country are slowly turning our dissatisfaction with the war into a dissatisfaction of the soldier, marine, sailor, coastie or airman. Their sacrifice should not be in vain. If you doubt for a second that this is happening, look around and see how many cars have the yellow ribbon on them, as opposed to even a year ago. Support is waning and that always trickles down to the troops.

War is indeed senseless and stupid and if everyone would just get along, we could do away with conflict altogether. Utopia, yes! What a great place! Its heaven and not this earth and this earth will never suffer world peace, but will stay in conflict till the end of its orbiting days. Our military members, sons and daughters, loved ones and those who fall in wartime should always be put on the pedestal of honor and remembered for their sacrifice. Politics, partisan or otherwise should never dictate whether their loss was honorable. It was and still is honorable for a soldier to defend their country. It’s the politician and the voter’s responsibility to insure our country stays on the right track.

The empty tomb that resides in the hearts of the parents, family and friends will dull with time, but they will continue to lay flowers at its door. Sanctioning the loss of their loved one depends on the support of their countrymen. Fill that void with prayers and your personal support.

Throughout the next year, say a kind word to them and let them know their loss was not in vain.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First above all Thank YOU for serving our country, yes I do pray for families that have lost a loved one due to war or any other way- especially moms/dads how horrible it is to out live your child. Awesome powerful moving words you wrote and so true sad to say that this world will never suffer from world peace. Again I appreciate your VW survival GOD Bless Lets not forget our P.O.W.'s AMEN: peace out, sis micaela

Anonymous said...

This year, to commemorate Memorial Day, and to make it more than a weekend of barbeque's and pool opening parties, I decided to pay a quick visit to a cemetery up the road which contains the graves of men who fought in the Revolutionary War. One day when I have the time and the weather isn't as balmy I'll go by there again in order to pay better attention to names and dates on the markers.

Across the street from that graveyard is the town's War Memorial which received wreaths of flowers in the morning.

It's usual for me to also swing by the War Monument in the next town which commemorates the dead from earlier wars and also receives wreaths for each war/conflict. This time I just wasn't able to do it though and will try and swing past there in the next couple days. That is one lovely monument which is in the center of a large, busy intersection. One the opposite side of the street is the 9/11 memorial which I was able to bring myself to visit for the first time this past September. In this past year a new monument has been erected on the opposite side of the street commemorating those lost in more recent conflicts. Anne

Anonymous said...

very nicely said. i count our blessings that nic was not injured more seriously than he was. i am thankful every day for all our soldiers who proudly serve and all those who have served in the past.
God bless America.

Reviving my lost Trackables.

 Reviving my lost Trackables. BaytownBert 3-15-24 Over the last 20 years, I’ve purchased and in many cases released somewhere short of 150 T...