Thursday, September 21, 2017

What, me read? Isn't that a 4 letter word?



I had an appointment this week at the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center to have an echocardiogram, which by the way is an EKG times 10. It's a very thorough heart, artery, and vein exam. Contrary to what you may have read about the VA, these people are very good to Vets. By the by, I passed and was told I could continue to be the stud of a man that most people believe I am. Scratch that one off the list, as I am still good in that department.

I made my way up to the 3rd floor of the matrix of hallways and clinics and held up a Louis L'Amour novel, 2 copies of Reader's digest and 2 issues of Popular Mechanics and asked the 50 or so people in the waiting room, if anyone wanted something to read. Not a single taker in the bunch. Seriously? The western was Rider of Lost Creek; an awesome depiction of the 1870's gunslinger era in the old west.

I laid them on the table and sat down and chatted with two grisly old Vets my own age. One had flown in from the Philippines and was suffering from congestive heart failure. The other one lives in Vidor and they are lifelong buddies from the Vietnam war. I had already read what I brought to augment the usual "stuff" that is on the tables in this place, so I simply chatted and exchanged experiences of my time passing through the Clark Air Force Base on my way to the war.

Joan Martin hit the proverbial nail on the head with Tuesday's column titled "Writing & training my brain" and I told her so. I love to read and spend a great deal of time exercising this skill every day. Yes, I call it a skill, because evidently, it is vanishing. I call what I do exercising because as Joan stated, it does indeed exercise our aging brains.

"Writing is like reading, on steroids." I quote myself. Writing is a seriously bumped up version of reading, because writers create. We pull words out of thin air. We weave stories and ideas to fill the need of readers and ourselves. I literally see the stuff I write and often will read and reread my own column 10 times before I submit it. I write because I must. I read because I can't stop thirsting for knowledge and adventure.

But what about those who never read more than they have to? They read street signs and food brand names. Restaurant menus have become a challenge to  many unless they have pictures with a number beside them. They read Tweets and one sentence paragraphs. They speed read everything, making Reader's Digest look wordy. If you ask one of these many what book they last read, they look at you with a thousand mile stare, once reserved for combat veterans.

Online programs such as Twitter are actually making people stupid.  Texting four word sentences, if you can call them that, are promoting the same degenerative retardation of our cognitive abilities. To prove a point in how low we have fallen, take a look at this column.  I write in very short paragraphs, or no one will read it. If a friend sends you a joke and it is more than 3 short paragraphs, do we read it?  Highly unlikely, right?

Reading books is already a socially diminishing skill. Those of us who still do it are vanishing dinosaurs and when and if we pass on to the next life, what does the future hold? Like Joan Martin said, each of us has a story inside us. Each of us crave to have that story told. Reading and writing go hand in hand and if you have a keyboard and a computer, start writing stuff down. You never know who will read it down the road. You may discover that as a reader, you are also a writer and to me, that is something special.

Truth be told, if you are reading this... you are a reader and like I pointed out, you are much in the minority. Reading is a dying skill being replaced with someone or some piece of technology talking to us to tell us what to think and what to do. "Press 1 for this, press 2 for that. Punch in this code and then leave a message."

Smart phones have us reading everything in micro-bytes and using our fingers to communicate. Do everything virtually for happiness. Press 1 for extra happiness. Press 2 for self-gratification. Pres 3 to put your brain in neutral. Lord help us in the future.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gigi VaDonna: our electronics, like most things in life, started out for good..but we haven't learned how to use them instead of abuse them...we are losing our ability to communicate with each other.

Larry Houston: The last three books I read were ebooks so just because I'm staring at an electronic device, it doesn't mean that I'm not reading.

Charlie A Farrar: Stud?

Anonymous said...

Steve Liles: Hey Stud. I sent you my college course to view one day. Now last night we used Harry Potter using 6 inches of page without stopping for air. No comma even --- but the book managed to outsell the Bible. (Her words). So in a nutshell college advices us to look at blogs. Medium being her favorite. So again another words we are learning advanced writing skills but were told as we can clearly see it's the authors personality on how the perceive what the blog or story is about. So as yourself I read everything I can and now look for personality rather than error. I think I'm pressing 3.

Anonymous said...

Mimsy: I agree 100%.

I agree Bert. We get so many snippets of information, but never the details and emotions that a good book provides...Debi

Anonymous said...

Sam Compton Is that a photo of the VA waiting room?

Lance Wagner Let's start watering our crops with energy drinks!!

Dandy Don Cunningham
Dandy Don Cunningham Thank you for another awesome column in The Baytown Sun. I really wish I liked to read, but I just can't get into it. I can read my Bible with no problem, but just can't sit down and read a long book. I know I would be a lot more intelligent if I did like to read, but just don't. Great, encouraging column.

Buddy D. Casto Good read there BB. I am going to make an effort to do more reading. Thanks for the prod pard!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Virginia Mitchell Compton: We actually know someone who is very proud that she never went into a bookstore, even before electronics. Barnes and Noble was packed last week when we were there.

Anonymous said...

Thomas Parent: I’ve been known to snuggle up with a nice chunk of technical or legal reading.

Rich people get away with things because they pay lawyers to throughly read and understand the laws.

I also love Wikipedia. As I read through an article I’m constantly opening new tabs from links in the article.

Anonymous said...

Ren Fitts‎:
I just read your Thursday article in Baytown Sun.... like many kids I was in a big family the third kid down out of 6.. My reading skills were low as a 4th grader and I was assigned a reading teacher who was a man who's Dad was a coal miner and he served in coal mines to earn money for college... This man changed my life and taught me I had bad reading skills and was taught wrong LOL.. with a index card he taught me how to improve my reading and I became a speed reader... he would say Read to Succeed and he with some simple tactics taught me and others our bad habits in reading and why we were slow readers... I was a head mover and I would reread sentences so he grabbed my head and placed index card under sentence on my SRA reader page.. He put a dot on middle top of card.. He said you see that dot, I said yes Sir, he said focusing on dot can you see words , I said some Sir... He said look at first word of sentence and tell me it, so I did , then he said what is last word, so I spoke it out.. He said ok look at dot and if you see first word I said yes Sir, now read that word and rest in sentence... So I did and he said slide card down to next sentence and read it... He said I want you to carry that card with you to read in school and at church... He said with confidence you will be a great reader in a few weeks I would be speed reading.. Odd it was, my skills went straight up with his instructions... That teacher made me a reader with a simple change in the way I read things... Read to Succeed is so true because he also taught class about how to get the meat out of a paragraph... That helped me in my military career, college and at my Exxon career... I teach kids what I learned with index card especially when they think they can't read... I like to write too Bro, LOL..

Anonymous said...

Weldon Haltom: I used to read a great deal, but, in my job I read technical manuals day in and day out on new equipment or procedures so I got burned out on reading., Since I retired, I have tried to read more, but haven't reached the level I did once. I loved reading Louis Lamour's books. Down the Long Hills was may favorite. Or maybe the ones about the Sacketts. Or Conagher. Or .........

Anonymous said...

Barbora Martin Cole: Bert Marshall, I cut out your article on reading. My mother, two sisters, and I loved to read. I grew up in a small town, and I could go many places as I read book after book. It is sad to me that our daughters and granddaughters do not enjoy reading. I would always prefer reading to watching TV. Thanks for your articles which always put things in perspective.

Anonymous said...

Natalie King Whatley: I still read you every week, friend :) I get aggravated I don't have enough time at this point in my life to read all the things I want to!! I got a link a few days ago for a speed-reading app... I thought for a moment and realized that's not how I want to "take it all in" lol. Most of the pleasure is in slowing down and savoring the different thoughts & ideas! Keep up the great work-- I ENJOY it every week still.

Reviving my lost Trackables.

 Reviving my lost Trackables. BaytownBert 3-15-24 Over the last 20 years, I’ve purchased and in many cases released somewhere short of 150 T...