Sunday, September 24, 2006

Life During Wartime Iraqi Freedom version

Life During Wartime - Iraqi Freedom version

Heard of a van, loaded with IEDs,
packed up and ready to go
Heard of some grave sites, out by the highway,
a place where nobody knows
The sound of gunfire, off in the distance,
I'm getting used to it now
Born in Baytown, lived on the downside,
I've been all over this town

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco,
this ain't no fooling around
No time for dancing, or lovey dovey,
I ain't got time for that now

Transmit the message, to the receiver,
hope for an answer from home
I got a sixteen, a couple of buddies,
you don't even know my fightin' name
Out in the desert, the trucks are loading,
everything's ready to roll
I sleep when I can, I work 30 hours at a time,
I might not ever get home

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco,
this ain't no fooling around
This ain't no fight club, or C. B. G. B.,
I ain't got time for that now
Heard from Houston? Heard from my hometown?
Heard from my homies in Dirty B?

You oughta know not to stand by the window
somebody might shoot you up there
I got a care package, some peanut butter,
to last a couple of days
But I ain't got no pictures, ain't got no
headphones, ain't got no CD's to play

Why stay in college? Why go to night school?
I'd do it different next time
Can't write an email, can't send no postcard,
I can't write nothing at all
I'd like to kiss you, I'd love to hold you
I ain't got no time for that now...

The Talking Heads (with revisions by BB)
Dedicated to my son, Sgt. Nick Marshall US Army

No comments:

Reviving my lost Trackables.

 Reviving my lost Trackables. BaytownBert 3-15-24 Over the last 20 years, I’ve purchased and in many cases released somewhere short of 150 T...