Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Spanish conquistadors killing in the name of God... for gold.
With the "Spanish" Hispanic population growing in the USA, let's take a look at an oft-claimed consensus of "We were here first". I've heard versions of this for the last 40+ years and it tells me how little folks know about the history of these two continents. Here we go and I invite reasonable discourse:

"It is estimated that during the initial Spanish conquest of the Americas up to eight million indigenous people died in a series of events that have been described as the first large-scale act of genocide of the modern era."

What is so ironic to me is how so many Hispanics are proud of their Spanish heritage when the Catholic Spaniards were invaders who wiped out the indigenous occupants for the most part. In their constant search for gold, they murdered anyone they found... or converted them from being a heathen to a good child of god. This was nothing more than a form of mental enslavement and taxes in the form of offerings.
Spanish Conquistadors exploring the Grand Canyon in the 16th Century

Yeah, it would make me proud also to claim Spain as my heritage if it were so. My people were Irish and we fled our country to assimilate into US Citizens. I might look Irish and I am and some Scottish, but I look and act like an American first. Let that sink in. I am an American first and secondly, if I was of a mind to, I would honor my past heritage.

"In August 1521 the city fell and the Aztec empire became a Spanish dominion. Temples were destroyed and the locals were reduced to the legal status of minors. In traditional accounts Spanish smallpox killed up to three quarters of the native population. Undoubtedly the European invaders were ruthless adventurers."
.

No comments:

Reviving my lost Trackables.

 Reviving my lost Trackables. BaytownBert 3-15-24 Over the last 20 years, I’ve purchased and in many cases released somewhere short of 150 T...