Friday, April 29, 2011

The Red Fox on Texas Avenue


.

After getting spoiled in New Orleans by the French Quarter cuisine, my Bride and I decided it was time to check out Baytown’s upscale offering, namely The Red Fox on Texas Avenue. It’s located at 114 W. Texas and even though the road appears to be closed for restoration, there is ample parking in front of the restaurant.

In preparation for our visit, I downloaded their menu from their website and the first thing I noticed was how chic the layout and font choice was, but as one who writes, I may be bias. The food choices looked deliciously like something I would see in the French Quarter, albeit with a Texas Southern/Creole/coastal twist.

After being seated inside the beautifully decorated restaurant, I couldn’t make up my mind between the potato soup with bacon or the cheese and broccoli soup, but we both agreed we needed to taste the scrumptious sounding crab cakes. The ambience was a breath of fresh air over the mass-seating food joints in Baytown we are indoctrinated to expect. For years, it’s a common lament Baytown has no good restaurants. Not so anymore.

We were blessed to meet the owner Linda Stewart and Baytown Photo Club fellow members Gary Erwin and Elizabeth Caldwell having a bite to eat at a nearby table. Looking around the restaurant I couldn’t help but see how elegant and romantic the setting was. I told the owner that she was sitting on a gold mine and she agreed.

My Bride ordered the muffuletta, a New Orleans sandwich with fresh meats, provolone cheese, Italian olive salad, and delicious bread. I stayed with the potato soup and crab cakes. About this time we had more visitors, a fellow artist named Allen and Ken “the Dauber” Pridgeon. It appears the Red Fox is a good place to meet quality people while enjoying scrumptious food and excellent ambience.

Waving a goodbye, we left only to return soon for a romantic evening of dining in style…and eat some of those delectable desserts on the menu!

The Red Fox web site
.

No comments:

Reviving my lost Trackables.

 Reviving my lost Trackables. BaytownBert 3-15-24 Over the last 20 years, I’ve purchased and in many cases released somewhere short of 150 T...