Thursday, May 24, 2012

MIO - the Real Story is Propylene Glycol

My bride and I were asked today if we had tried MIO, the new sweet drink energy enhancer. I did some research on it. I don't think we will add it to our shopping list.
 The reason is propylene glycol.  Propylene glycol, also called 1,2-propanediol or propane-1,2-diol, is an organic compound (a diol or double alcohol) with formula C3H8O2 or HO-CH2-CHOH-CH3. It is a colorless, nearly odorless, clear, viscous liquid with a faintly sweet taste, hygroscopic and miscible with water, acetone, and chloroform.
 Propylene glycol is used:
Propylene glycol has properties similar to those of highly toxic ethylene glycol (monoethylene glycol or MEG). (Note: infrequently, propylene glycol may also use the acronym MEG, but as an abbreviation of methyl ethyl glycol - the industry standard acronym for propylene glycol is PG or MPG (monopropylene glycol).) The industrial norm is to replace ethylene glycol with propylene glycol when safer properties are desired.  Source: Wikipedia

Frankly, I will pass on voluntarily putting this in my body....

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's nasty to the taste also. Kids suckered me into buying it one time. VM

Anonymous said...

O jeez, I am sitting here with a half empty bottle now after drinking their black cherry one in it.. then I Google it, and Google bottled water. Seems 40% of all bottled water is straight from a tap and not even extra filters and not regulated as city water is. U cud be drinking one that was bottled next to a landfill or waste dump. Yeah, I think I will just fill up from Baytown water....jeez BP

. . . . . said...

In this months water bill, you can read the 2011 water report. Baytown has superior clean water. I've always asserted that and its true. Hook up a filter and run Baytown's water through it if it makes you feel better and you will have water as good as anything you can buy.

Anonymous said...

Like wine.... if you drink several bottles you will yack. But if you stick with a glass or two it is healthy. ;) JB

Anonymous said...

I like it and it is 0 calories. TB

Anonymous said...

Propylene glycol....isn't that anti freeze? Can't be good for you.... KC

Anonymous said...

Wow I had no idea. Thank you so much for writing this. I will pass this onto my family and friends!
From, a college student who used to love MIO....

Anonymous said...

FDA thinks it's "generally recognized as safe." Not too sure how much good that does you, but in high school my auto tech teacher showed us the two types of coolant: *propylene glycol and ethylene glycol. Sooo.... Probably would not want to drink engine coolant...

cited: http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/substances/toxsubstance.asp?toxid=240

further reading:
http://www.naturalnews.com/023138_propylene_glycol_products_natural.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol

Amazingly, there is a PG website:
http://www.propylene-glycol.com/

Just figured more info might help the discussion. Then again, i did just get all this thru google, so i guess anyone who actually cares enough to properly research it could jfgi.

Anonymous said...

Ethylene glycol is used primarily in antifreeze. Propylene glycol is used as a deicer for airplanes simply because it has a lower freezing temperature and because it is not toxic to humans

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Mio Sweet Tea messed me up! I thought it was cool because no calories, caffiene or carbonation- and used it to flavor water all the time! Well I was slowly point in go myself with the large doses. I had swelling C in leg as and belly and feet pretty bad and took a while before reacting it to the Mio. I stopped and the swelling went away in a day. Half the propelene glycol is excreted and the other half breaks down and leave lactic acidosis. Pretty sure what I had was Metabolic Acidocis as a result. This product is owned by one of the big 4 food companies (Kraft, ConAgra etc) and of course they are all trying to kill us slowly to show their shareholders good numbers. Thanks for the article.

Reviving my lost Trackables.

 Reviving my lost Trackables. BaytownBert 3-15-24 Over the last 20 years, I’ve purchased and in many cases released somewhere short of 150 T...