Thursday, November 16, 2017

Aging is not for wimps



 
I finally arrived and begrudgingly have to admit that I have evolved into the grasp of the aged father time. Once nimble digits punched away on my keyboard and ordered a heating pad. Yes, I bought a heating pad. I have to confess that I had to make 3 corrections on my order because my fingers don't want to follow my brain's orders to push them all the way down or hit the keys I intended.

The old man, dressed in a white robe, long white beard and rusty scythe has taken up residence in the home 20, but has mercifully spared my bride. I detest the unwelcome visitor/resident and have sought help in evicting him. 2017 has become the year that I learned I am no longer the phenomenal athlete I once truly believed I was.

Bullet proof was a good description of me and other than the occasional fender benders our bodies experience, I always ricocheted and kept right on truckin'. I scoffed at lesser beings who seemed to be disintegrating in front of me and smugly declared that I must be living right. Being self-righteous has its moment of karma to be sure.

It all began to unravel for me in March when I noticed I had a stiff neck. I awoke early and figured I had slept in a position that caused the malady. I was scheduled to instruct an indoor cycling class at the NASA location of the gym named after the clock. I drove down and did the class and by the time it was over, I was in such pain I felt like going to the emergency room. I don't handle pain well.

To make a long story less boring, here I am 8 months later still attempting to straighten out my neck. I have what they call spinal stenosis or a narrowing of the bone channel occupied by the spinal nerves or the spinal cord. It's not uncommon I'm told and was exacerbated by injuries I incurred years ago. My VA doctor described it as "nasty neck" and that sums it up pretty well.

The VA's solution was massive amounts of steroids both orally and by neck injection and enough pills to put me in atrial fibrillation or A-fib.  At one point, my blood pressure hit 180 over 120 and they feared I was going to have a stroke. They determined I now needed to see a hematologist who prescribed me... more prednisone! I was now up to 13 meds and decided to simply stop taking all of them except my original blood pressure pill. They were killing me with medicine and actually induced gout with one of them.

I am one month withdrawn from all that and my blood pressure has returned to normal. My neck still hurts and after 6 weeks of acupuncture treatments, my 5 week long headache is gone. The chronic pain I suffered during the 5 months the VA prescribed pain pills is basically gone also. At one point I took 180 Tramadol pills in a little over a month. I imagine my liver looks like hamburger meat.

I am now being treated by a chiropractor here in Baytown with both painful and pain-relieving results. My gym visits have all but stopped with an occasional foray into spin class to keep my legs from atrophying. I have had to accept the sad fact that I am 65 and not 25 and that is the hardest thing for me to mentally digest. There is a silver lining in all of this though. I've learned to take control of what meds I will actually ingest. I now read the warnings and have adjusted what I eat and drink. I should have been doing this all along. The 5 months I let the doctors prescribe pills did not help me. I simply suffered through it.

It wasn't until I sought alternative medical help with the acupuncturist and chiropractor that I made progress. I think sometimes we need to listen to our bodies instead of turning them over to experts. I made some serious changes in my dietary habits and have rubbed enough topical analgesics into my neck to lubricate an 18-wheeler. I force myself to drink 8 bottles of water a day. So, I bought a heating pad and it seems to really be doing some good. If it means I am an old person, so be it. I need it.

My next evolution is to get a couple pairs of khaki pants, some brown brogan shoes or those tennis shoes with Velcro tabs, and a light-weight cane. So, when you see me out and about, don't be shocked, be gentle. Be kind and take control of your health.
.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charlie A Farrar: Getting old ain't fer sissies. Hate to tell you this but the prostate is next in line of ailments to come.

Ruthie Rodriguez Ames: We love you Bert. Oh, don’t forget the red suspenders. Lookin’ sharp.

Anonymous said...

Wade Hickman: So good!

Anonymous said...

Melanie Berges Ferguson: I read the article in the Sun while sitting in a DOCTOR's office with my hubby this morning, all the while thinking how true your words about our medical profession. Once you turn 65, it's a new world concerning treatment.

Anonymous said...

PG: Very good article, Bert. As my Mother always used to say 'getting old is not for sissies'. It seems that the older we get (which beats the alternative & a dirt bed) the more aches, pains & ailments we get. Maybe that is HIS way of proving to us we are still alive & kicking. Or HE is the master of the practical joke, we will just have to ask HIM when we see him.

I did not actually realize how many meds I was taking until I took them all down to the VA! They changed a couple of them, but did not tell me to stop taking any of them. I guess at this point in my life I must need them.

My BP is pretty high too at times, when they check it always seems high & they have to check it multiple times until it gets down to the desired level. Not sure why that happens, unless I am still feeling the effects of that stressful drive down I-75. But I am usually a very calm, laid back, easy going guy who does not worry about much.

Oh, and I too, used to be pretty active until my knees, ankles, hips, back & feet started hurting more & more.

And BTW try having a headache every day of your life! Some days are tolerable while others are not. Plus I have had migraines since I was 9 years old.

Soooo, yes, aging is not for wimps or sissies!!!

Anonymous said...

Dandy Don Cunningham: Very, very good column in The Baytown Sun this morning, Bert. I pray that God will provide complete healing and comfort for your neck, my brother.

Reviving my lost Trackables.

 Reviving my lost Trackables. BaytownBert 3-15-24 Over the last 20 years, I’ve purchased and in many cases released somewhere short of 150 T...