Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Dixie Chicks debacle

I support freedom of speech by American citizens. I'm not embarrassed by Natalie Maines and I'm not embarrassed when any law abiding American speaks or writes about something they feel passionate about, including the Dixie Chicks.

As a Vietnam Veteran with 654 days in South East Asia, what bothers me is Natalie making these partisan statements out of this country in front of the British, even if they are our ally. Now, she has added insult to injury (again in England) by wondering what the big deal is with patriotism.

Here’s the crux of the matter: we are at war with our military dying on foreign soil. This is not the time to go to a different country and talk against the war, which many equate with not supporting the men and women in uniform. We Vietnam Vets will never forget Jane Fonda and sure as heck-fire won’t forgive her. This is the same rhetoric to many and the same sin, if you may.

Ms. Maines could stand up in front of any audience and say she wishes the war would end and we should pray for a quick end AND the safety of all the Coalition troops and she would sell albums like crazy. I for one wrote them off as entertainers when I first read how they defended what was said, well remembering Jane Fonda and experiencing first hand the negative feelings American civilians had for returning Vietnam Vets.

Here is how I react when a Dixie Chicks song comes on the radio…I shut it off, or turn the channel. I won’t support them or buy their music. I boycott them. I don’t get mad, I don’t call them “doo-doo heads” under my breath, I don’t do much of anything, and I just change the channel. I am exercising my right of choice.

When they put their politics in front of their music, especially what is considered anti-patriotic politics by the people who buy their music, they effectively committed capitalistic suicide, as one person put it so clearly. I salute them for their strength of convictions and they are reaping the benefits.

No comments:

Reviving my lost Trackables.

 Reviving my lost Trackables. BaytownBert 3-15-24 Over the last 20 years, I’ve purchased and in many cases released somewhere short of 150 T...