Saturday, April 29, 2006

American highways versus War in Iraq

In the US, each year there are about 40,000 deaths per year in automobile accidents vs. about 773 per year in Iraq.

The numbers as of 4-29-06 compiled by Baytown Bert:

1136 days in Iraq
2398 American deaths
1136 days / 365 days = 3.1 years in Iraq
773 deaths per year
2.1 deaths per day

--------------
40,000 American deaths on our highways per year
110 deaths per day/every day on our highways

To put this in perspective, the chance of dying in an automobile accident is about 50 times more likely than dying in Iraq in a year.

Statistics can be manipulated to say almost anything, but I think these are pretty straight forward. No, it doesn't include deaths versus injuries, but it doesn't for automobiles either and I'm sure it is the same, or even more in cars. Plus it doesn't include long term problems.

My question is this: How many of these dead G.I.'s would have died anyway if they had been riding in a car here in the States, since it is 50 times more likely?

No comments:

Reviving my lost Trackables.

 Reviving my lost Trackables. BaytownBert 3-15-24 Over the last 20 years, I’ve purchased and in many cases released somewhere short of 150 T...